Root canal is the process of removing the nerves from the root of the tooth. A root canal treatment is necessary to save an infected tooth from getting an abscess. Before jumping to what endodontic treatment is, it's even essential to know and understand the treatment process.
What is Root Canal Treatment?
A root canal treatment is the most common dental procedure designed to eliminate bacteria from the infected root canal. To prevent reinfection of the tooth and save the natural tooth. A root canal treatment in Liberty Township is performed by removing the infected pulp, and then the inside of the tooth is carefully cleaned, disinfected, then filled and sealed.
How to Know if You Need a Root Canal in Liberty Township?
Root canal treatment is required when the pulp, the soft tissue inside the root canal becomes infected. This infection can have a variety of causes such as deep decay, repeated dental procedure on the tooth, cracked tooth, and chipped tooth. Also, an injury to the tooth may cause pulp damage, even if the tooth has no visible cracks. If the pulp infection is left untreated, it can cause pain and lead to an abscess.
Symptoms of Root Canal Treatment:
There are a few symptoms that mean you need a root canal treatment in Liberty Township. It includes:
- Severe pain while chewing or biting
- Sensitivity to Heat or Cold
- Pimples on the gums
- Darkening of the gums
- Cracked or chipped tooth
The procedure of Root Canal Treatment in Liberty Township:
Root canal treatment is performed in one or two visits. Below are the following steps that involve the treatment procedure:
- Our endodontist in Liberty Township examines and takes an x-ray of the tooth and administers local anesthetic. Once the tooth gets numb, our endodontist places a small protective sheet called Dental Dam over the treatment area to isolate the tooth and keep it clean and free from saliva.
- Our endodontist makes an opening in the crown of the tooth, and a small instrument is used to clean the pulp from the pulp chamber, root canals, and to shape the space for filling.
- After space is cleaned and shaped, our endodontist fills the root canals with a rubber-like material called gutta-percha. The gutta-percha is placed with an adhesive cement to ensure complete sealing of the root canal. At the beginning of the treatment, a temporary filling is placed to close the opening. Later the temporary filling will be removed by our Liberty Township dentist before the tooth is restored.
- During the final visit of the Root Canal Treatment, our endodontist will place a crown on the tooth to protect and restore it to full function.
What to Expect After a Root Canal in Liberty Township?
For the first few days after a root canal treatment, you may experience sensitivity, swelling, or an uneven bite. Below are the following tips that need to be taken care, for a few days after the completion of treatment.
- Manage how you treat your mouth.
- Avoid exercise for a few days.
- Report if the crown gives you a problem.
- Get the rest you need.
Schedule a Root Canal Treatment in Liberty Township, OH
If you need a root canal treatment to maintain your smile for many years to come, then you can count on our endodontist Dr. Verbanic and his team. Schedule an appointment by calling us at (330) 759-4550 and see how we can help you with all your dental needs.
Our office serves all communities such as Liberty Township, Youngstown, Austintown, Girard, Hubbard, and Niles. We even have patients that live in other states that still fly back to see us. Come and see why for yourself!